Both players review their hands, and if they have a card that Digivolves their Digimon to the next level, they place it face down on the DIGIVOLVE ZONE. This new next-level card must show the name of the Digimon currently on the Duel Zone in its DIGIVOLVE REQUIREMENTS box, and you must be prepared to fulfill any other Digivolve Requirements stated there.
1. Flip a coin to decide who goes first.
2. Player who goes first turns over the card on the Digivolve Zone and places it face up on top of the card on the Duel Zone.
3. Player completes turn by fulfilling any Digivolve Requirements shown on the next-level card. For example:
Digivolving from Rookie to Champion requires moving 1 or 2 cards from Online to Offline as payment." (See example below.)
Digivolving from Champion to Ultimate or from Ultimate to Mega requires that you either:
1. Place a DIGIVICE Power Option card on the POWER PORT, or
2. DNA Digivolve, which means you must play 2 lower-level cards instead of 1. You do this by placing the second Digimon (the one not showing on the Duel Zone) face up on the Power Port when you turn over the next-level Digimon on the Duel Zone.
*Note: There are two other Power Option cards that can be used in the Digivolve Phase.
They are ULTRA DIGIVOLVE and DIGIVOLVE TO CHAMPION. See instructions in the EFFECTS section of each card for use.
After the first player has finished Digivolving, the second player notes any changes in DIGIMON POWER, and may respond by either:
1. Digivolving as shown above, or
2. Deciding not to Digivolve and saying "Pass." If the player who passes has a card face down on the Digivolve Zone, he must move it Offline, in other words, "Use it, or lose it."
If a player does not have a card in hand to Digivolve, he or she must pass. If both players do not have cards in hand to Digivolve, proceed to the BATTLE phase.
You may Digivolve only one level per Duel. After each player has either Digivolved or passed, the Digivolve phase is over. Proceed to the BATTLE phase.
In EXAMPLE B, your opponent has won the toss and goes first, turning over a Champion level GEKOMON with a Battle Type (YELLOW). You turn over a Champion level TORTOMON with a Battle Type (RED). You each move 1 card from ONLINE to OFFLINE, as required by the Digivolve Requirements.
Compare your Digimon Power. Your opponent blasts you with Digimon Power of 270, while you counter with Digimon Power of 370. Now you have the advantage!